Ways to identify leads
Leads are contacts who match the profile of your target customers. You can increase your number of leads by doing your research and finding networks that are relevant to your products and services. For example, you can:
- start a process for referrals, which includes
- making your customers aware of who your ideal customers are
- offering incentives to encourage your customers to refer contacts to you
- having special selling steps in place, such as free consultations, to stimulate sales from referrals.
- ask your existing customers and industry networks for testimonials or endorsements and add them to your website, social media and marketing collateral.
You can research and generate contact opportunities using online sources such as social media sites and industry sites. For example, you can:
- provide contact forms on your website
- enhance your online presence using your website, blog, or other social media
- surf the net for industry groups and associations that best fit your ideal lead profile
- identify and research your target customers, their contact details, their latest news, their products and their customers (who may themselves be leads for your business).
You can directly target contacts and produce leads by using direct marketing. Some examples of direct marketing include:
- cold calling - develop a sharp phone script and use the phone book or purchase industry-available customer contact lists
- direct mail - use email, e-newsletters or print mail-outs to target potential customers with product offers and incentives
- competitions - run a competition to attract customers, using incentives such as free services or giveaways.
Media campaigns help you generate leads by delivering marketing and advertising to mass consumer segments. You could use:
- mass media - develop a marketing and advertising campaign using, for example, regional newspapers, industry magazines and online media
- sales media contractors - contract organisations who specialise in finding customers and generating leads for sales organisations.
Networking allows you to make contacts and build relationships that could produce leads or referrals. Make the most of networking opportunities by:
- joining face-to-face or online business network groups or starting your own with other local businesses
- booking a stall or booth at a relevant industry trade show or market expo
- reading local business and community papers and journals, and making contact with local business and community members.