Starting a poultry farm
Before you start a poultry farm to produce eggs or meat, it is important to have a thorough understanding of all the requirements. These include:
- the market you will target and supply (e.g. under contract with a meat processor)
- site selection
- the development application process
- environmental laws and requirements
- environmental management of the farm
- the production system you will use (e.g. caged, barn, free range)
- the health, husbandry and welfare requirements of the birds.
This guide provides an overview of starting a poultry farm in Queensland.