Support for AgTech industry development
AgTech describes the use of technology within primary industries and associated supply chains to improve efficiency and profitability. AgTech mostly includes digital technologies, providing data, tools and knowledge, to assist you to make informed, timely decisions that support your business.
Queensland agribusinesses looking to adopt new technology to transform their business now have a place to start their AgTech journey. Join our AgTech community to learn how Queensland agriculture is becoming more productive, profitable and sustainable.
The need for AgTech
Technology will be critical to drive efficiencies and productivity to help meet growing world food needs.
The world population is currently growing by about 83 million each year. The UN Food and Agriculture Organisation projects that global agriculture has to increase food production by 70%.
The Australian agriculture industry will double by 2030, making it bigger than the iron and coal industries combined.
Current and emerging technologies
- Internet of things
- Virtual reality
- Augmented reality
- Cloud computing
- Intelligent Apps
- Big data
- Artificial intelligence
- 5G technology
Evaluating technology checklist
Consider the following to help you evaluate if a technology is fit for your business purpose.
- What's the core problem you are trying to solve?
- What’s the motive for the purchase? Is it to make a task easier? Automate an activity? Reduce a business cost?
- Does the technology do what it's supposed to do?
- How compatible is the technology with existing systems? Can it interface with your existing equipment/programs?
- Take it for a test drive or at least review some good case studies/testimonials to validate it.
- How reliant is the technology on your connectivity and speed?
- Is it value for money? How does it compare with similar products and services?
- How reliable is it? What's the warranty back-up service ?
- Who owns any data that is generated?
- Is it a one-off purchase, or are there ongoing subscriptions?
- What other considerations do you need to make before you purchase it?
- Contact our Customer Service Centre about our AgTech development activities for agriculture in Queensland.
- Last reviewed: 21 Oct 2019
- Last updated: 1 Oct 2020