Fire safety in budget accommodation buildings
Budget accommodation buildings must follow mandatory fire safety standards under the Queensland Development Code (QDC).
What is a budget accommodation building?
A budget accommodation building provides accommodation for 6 or more people and all or some of the occupants share a bathroom.
Budget accommodation includes:
- boarding houses
- backpacker hostels
- bed and breakfasts
- farm stays
- supported accommodation
- hotels that provide sleeping accommodation as a community service or at commercial rates.
Budget accommodation excludes:
- hotels without paying guests
- motels that don't operate backpacker style (i.e. individual beds can't be let)
- buildings that are let only as a whole
- employer-provided accommodation
- educational institutions
- women's refuges or shelters
- lifesaver accommodation
- recreational camps for particular groups.
Budget accommodation buildings built before 1992 must:
- comply with the fire safety standard - QDC MP 2.1 – Fire safety in budget accommodation buildings (PDF, 182KB)
- have a fire safety management plan (PDF, 99KB)
- have an early warning system (e.g. smoke alarms) and emergency lighting.
Budget accommodation buildings built from 1992 must:
- comply with section A3 of MP 2.1
- comply with fire safety standards in the:
- have a fire safety management plan (PDF, 99KB).
Help with compliance
Fire safety management plans
Create a fire safety management plan (PDF, 99KB) using one of these checklists:
- small building checklist (PDF, 171KB) – for buildings with a floor area smaller than 300m2
- medium building checklist (PDF, 239KB) – for buildings with a floor area of 300–500m2
- large building checklist (PDF, 266KB) – for buildings with a floor area larger than 500m2.
Compliance assessment and self-assessment
For help with compliance assessment for new or existing buildings:
- use the guidelines and checklists provided on this page
- contact your local government, which will conduct the compliance assessment for you.
Councils may use the notice of compliance template (DOC, 53KB) to issue compliance notices under MP 2.1.
Approved contractors and dispute resolution
For lists of approved contractors and help to resolve disputes between owners and contractors, see the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.
- Last reviewed: 26 Nov 2019
- Last updated: 26 Nov 2019