Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: We are currently updating information following recent Queensland and Australian Government announcements. Find assistance and support for coronavirus affected businesses and industries.

Transfer duty on resource authorities

Transfer duty is charged on transactions involving resource authorities.

Resource authorities include:

  • authorities to prospect
  • exploration permits, prospecting permits, mining claims, mineral development licences and mining leases
  • geothermal exploration permits
  • greenhouse gas (GHG) exploration permits.

Land in Queensland is dutiable property, which includes resource authorities. An agreement to transfer a resource authority or a transfer of a resource authority are dutiable transactions to which transfer duty applies.

Transfer duty is calculated on the dutiable value of the resource authority, which is the higher of the consideration for the resource authority (purchase price) or the unencumbered value.

Lodging a resource authority transaction

To lodge a transfer or an agreement to transfer a resource authority, we require the following:

  • a dutiable transaction statement (Form D2.2)
  • the agreement or, if there is no agreement, the transfer document. If you do not have a transfer document or agreement, complete and lodge a transfer duty statement (Form D2.3)
  • the consideration for the transaction, if the parties are unrelated
  • independent evidence of value of the resource authority (e.g. a valuation prepared by a registered valuer or person the Commissioner is satisfied is property qualified) when
    • the consideration is nominal or nil
    • the parties are related
    • the consideration cannot be determined at the time the agreement is made
    • the unencumbered value is higher than the consideration.

An agreement to transfer a resource authority must be lodged within 30 days after the agreement is made. If the agreement is conditional, you may request an extension of time to lodge - read the public ruling on extending time to lodge an agreement (DA019.1) for more information.

For a transfer of a resource authority, it must be lodged within 30 days after the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy Form MMOL-05 (PDF, 175KB) is executed. If the transfer is made under an agreement, you must provide it also.

Learn more about lodging documents for transfer duty assessment.

To find out how much you will pay, apply the transfer duty rates to the dutiable value of the resource authority or use the transfer duty estimator.


Office of State Revenue

  • Call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • Send an email using our online enquiry form.