Paying mining and petroleum royalties

Mining and petroleum royalties are payments made to the owner of resources for the right to extract them. In Queensland, royalties are generally paid to us.

If you have a resource authority to extract minerals or petroleum, you must pay royalties monthly, quarterly or annually, depending on the type of authority and the size of the activity.

Royalties must be paid by the due date of each monthly instalment (for clients who pay monthly) or relevant royalty return (for quarterly and annual returns).

Your liability can include late lodgement fees, penalty, civil penalty or unpaid interest. This guide explains the ways you can pay royalties, the due dates for payments, and fees, penalties and interest.


Queensland Revenue Office

  • Call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • Send an email using our online enquiry form.