Contact the office of the Queensland Small Business Commissioner
The office of the Queensland Small Business Commissioner (QSBC) is here to help small businesses in Queensland.
Queensland Small Business Commissioner hotline
Phone 1300 312 344 to get help from the QSBC in relation to problems with operating a small business in Queensland.
Complete our enquiry form for:
- small business questions (including about commercial leasing)
- small business advocacy requests
- general feedback.
In attempting to resolve a dispute, the parties can follow our steps for resolving business disputes. If the parties cannot reach a settlement, the Queensland Small Business Commissioner may be able to assist.
Eligible lease disputes
Lodge your eligible lease dispute notice here.
An eligible lease dispute is:
- a small business (sole trader or business with fewer than 20 full-time equivalent employees) tenancy dispute about a small business lease, or about the use or occupation of the leased premises
- an affected lease dispute about a retail shop or a lease where a tenant carries out their business, meeting all of the following criteria:
- the lease was current when the regulation commenced (28 May 2020)
- the lessee is a small to medium enterprise (SME) (i.e. the tenant's turnover was less than $50m for the 2018–19 financial year or turnover is likely to be under $50m for the 2019–20 financial year)
- is eligible for the JobKeeper Payment scheme.
The parties must make a reasonable attempt to resolve the dispute. If this has been unsuccessful, a party may lodge an eligible lease dispute notice to the Queensland Small Business Commissioner. If you have not attempted to resolve the dispute, the dispute is ineligible or the application is not properly made, it may be dismissed.
Other small business disputes
Information about other small business disputes.
For all other disputes, we may be able to provide you with some assistance to help navigate your options and informally resolve the dispute. If you cannot find the answer on our website, please send us an enquiry.
Note: The office of the Queensland Small Business Commissioner provides information to small businesses and general guidance about the Retail Shop Leases and Other Commercial Leases (COVID-19 Emergency Response) Regulation 2020. We do not provide specific financial or legal advice. We cannot compel people to do certain things and cannot make rulings or decisions about disputes.
- Last reviewed: 5 Jun 2020
- Last updated: 12 Jun 2020