COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Payroll tax periodic return tutorial
This tutorial will help you lodge a payroll tax periodic return using OSR Online.
Before you begin, make sure that your contact details and employer status is correct.
- Log in to OSR Online:
- Select View accounts and choose the client from the list.
- Click the Returns tab to see a list of all outstanding returns.
- Select the relevant periodic return in the Period column.
- Click Lodge returns to display the return.
If you've saved a return as a draft, it will be marked as draft in the Transaction number column. Select Lodge returns to open the return.
The employer status, return period dates and the due date of the return will appear automatically.
Select Save as draft at any time to save your data. This will generate the transaction number (payment reference code).
- Answer the questions. (The questions will depend on your employer status.)
- If you select 'Yes' to the regional employer discount question, the discount will be applied to the tax rate.
- Enter the Queensland taxable wages and Apprentice and trainee wages for the period.
Designated group employers (DGEs) and non-grouped (NG) employers that selected 'Yes' for interstate wages, will be able to enter their fixed periodic deduction (FPD).
- Enter the deduction amount if you have already calculated it. Otherwise, select the calculator icon beside the FPD field.
- You can change the employer status, but not the dates or lodgement frequency.
- Enter the estimated wages for this financial year and select Estimate. (You can reset and estimate as many times as you want.)
- Click Apply to insert the deduction into your return.
You can change the FPD amount by selecting Calculate.
- Click Next to continue.
The lodgement date will pre-fill as today's date.
The return will display the:
- taxable amount
- periodic liability
- interest (if applicable)
- payment received (if any payment has already been made for the return)
- total amount payable.
- Select Save as draft. The transaction number will be displayed in a pop-up box. Click Okay to go back to the return.
You can adjust information, calculate and save as a draft as many times as needed.
- Click Next to continue.
Enter your personal details. The fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
- As an authorised lodger, you must enter your Name and Contact number, and declare that the information provided is true and correct.
- Select Save as draft.
- Select Review to check your return.
If you have an error on the form, it will be shown as an exclamation mark at the top-right corner. Click the icon to view and select Edit to make changes.
- Once you are satisfied with the return, tick the declaration box again, and select Save as draft.
- Click Review and Print for a copy.
- Select Submit to lodge the return. A pop-up window will appear.
After you have submitted a return, it will disappear from your Returns list. If the return is from the current financial year, it will display in the Year to date returns tab.
- Last reviewed: 17 Jun 2020
- Last updated: 23 Jun 2020