The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Managing premises security
As a part of your business security plan, you need to decide how to manage the security of your premises, including your property, money, and personnel. A risk analysis helps you to identify security threats your business faces.
Money security on premises
If your staff handle cash on a daily basis, you need a cash management system. Consider using cash management strategies. For example, you can:
- limit the amount of cash in the cash register
- transfer cash from the register to a safe regularly
- limit access to the cash compartment or safe
- store cash compartment keys in a secure location
- lock up cash and take keys with you when you leave
- memorise your safe combination number and change it regularly
- make sure customers don't see where petty cash is stored.
Security devices for premises
You may consider using some or all of the following security devices on your premises:
- CCTV cameras
- observation mirrors
- security gates
- radio frequency systems
- security tags on merchandise
- locked display cases.
Business owners should insure their premises against crime and natural disasters. It's also important to regularly review and update your insurance, especially when your business grows or changes.
Business continuity plan
A security breach on your premises can interrupt or even stop business operations. A business continuity plan ensures that the impact on your business operations is minimised, because staff know how to respond. A quick and organised response by staff can prevent further losses to your business and help the business recover quickly from the incident.
Use our Business continuity plan template.
- Prepare a risk management plan and business impact analysis.
- Learn more about business security (PDF, 409KB) to help assess your risk.
- Read the Cash in transit code of practice 2011 (PDF, 762KB).
- Learn about information technology risk management.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020