Waste transporter tracking obligations
A waste transporter is the person who transports the trackable regulated waste. If you transport commercial and industrial regulated wastes in any quantity or if you are transporting more than 250kg of regulated trackable waste non-commercially, you must record and submit waste tracking information using an approved electronic or paper submission method.
Trackable waste and exemptions
If you are transporting more than 250kg of regulated waste, you may also need to hold an environmental authority for regulated waste transport.
View a full list of waste that must be tracked in Queensland. This list includes waste codes which must be included when completing waste tracking certificates.
You can also view a list of exemptions from waste tracking requirements.
Obligations for waste transporters
If you are a waste transporter, there are waste tracking obligations that apply to you:
- You must carry the prescribed information received from the generator. This can be in the approved electronic or paper form.
- When you give the waste to the receiver, you must give them the prescribed information about the waste.
- Report any discrepancy in information received from the generator in writing to the Department of Environment and Science (DES) (e.g. waste type, weight, receiving facility).
- Record and keep the prescribed information for a minimum of 5 years.
Submitting waste tracking information
You must submit your waste tracking information using the following approved methods:
Record, submit and access information on trackable waste movements anytime using your Connect customer account.
Record, submit and access information on trackable waste movements anytime using the bulk upload data file submission using your Connect customer account. To use this submission method, you may need to enter into an agent's agreement with another waste handler.
Record and submit prescribed information using paper waste tracking certificates by post or email. In addition to providing information to the transporter, you must:
- ensure that the generator keeps the WTC pink and green copies to keep and submit to DES
- carry the WTC white, blue and yellow copies with parts 1 and 2 completed with the load
- give the WTC white and yellow copies to the waste receiver
- keep the WTC blue copy with all parts completed for a minimum of 5 years.