Complying with payroll tax obligations
You must register for payroll tax if you:
- pay Australian taxable wages that are above the threshold
- pay taxable wages in Queensland. You must register within 7 days after the end of the month in which your wages (or your group wages) exceed the threshold.
Once registered, you must lodge returns for your calculated payroll tax liability.
When you lodge a return, you must pay any tax and other amounts owing (if applicable) by the due date. If you fail to lodge a return by the due date, you may receive a default assessment.
You must advise us within 30 days after becoming aware of an error that affects your liability.
To meet your record keeping obligations, you must:
- keep your records readily available for 5 years
- write your records in English
- have the amounts expressed in Australian currency (or have the capability to convert them into the required form).
We may need to translate or convert any information we believe is relevant to assess your liability, regardless of who holds the information.
Not meeting these obligations is an offence. It is also an offence to wilfully damage or destroy records.
Privacy and confidentiality
All your information and records (electronic and hardcopy) are protected by law, and are maintained in accordance with the:
- confidentiality provisions contained in the Taxation Administration Act 2001
- information privacy principles (for personal information) contained in the Information Privacy Act 2009.
- Use our calculators to determine how much payroll tax you need to pay.
- Use our taxable wages interactive help to determine if wages for a given month are taxable in Queensland.
- View our how-to guides to register for payroll tax and lodge returns.
- Consult our contractor provisions interactive help to see what contractor provisions apply.
- Visit the Payroll Tax Australia website to see how payroll tax administration differs between Australian states and territories.
I want to...
- Payroll tax and contractor payments - Maroochydore 06/02/2023
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 07/02/2023