Refunds of payroll tax

Your liability or refund will be automatically calculated when you lodge your annual or final return. If you have overpaid tax at any time during the year, we will apply the amount to any outstanding liabilities you have, then refund any remaining amount to you. The refund process may vary if you are a member of a group.

Any periodic returns containing errors need to be reassessed before we can issue a refund. You can request a reassessment:


If you have shown the correct amount in your lodged return, but have accidentally overpaid, you can request the refund of an overpayment by emailing Make sure to include:

  • your client details
  • the reason for the overpayment
  • the return period in which you overpaid tax.

If you have no outstanding liabilities and a refund is due, we may:

You have up to 5 years from the date of the overpayment to request a refund.

Also consider...


Queensland Revenue Office

  • Call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • Send an email using our online enquiry form.