COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Alternative work arrangements
The impact of COVID-19 on your business may result in changes to your employees' work arrangements. For example, they could be working from home or have changes to their rosters, hours of work or duties.
Read about making alternative working arrangements during coronavirus.
Part-time employees receive the same employment entitlements as full-time workers on a pro-rata basis.
Complying with your industrial award
Make sure any part-time working arrangements meet the requirements of the award or agreement that covers your business.
Learn more about part-time employees on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.
For employers, the benefits of allowing part-time working arrangements include:
- being able to cover busy periods efficiently
- retaining valued employees who may not be able to, or want to, work full-time
- cost saving (if a part-time arrangement meets all the requirements of a position)
- attracting applicants from a wider employment pool.
Full-time workers changing to part-time
If you receive a proposal from a full-time employee to work part-time, consider whether:
- the essential functions of the position can be completed in the proposed time frame
- the role can be logically split on a time, task or customer basis
- you can reassign some of the employee's tasks, or if another employee will be required
- customers and colleagues will suffer as a result.
When a full-time employee changes to part-time work, you may need to make arrangements for important tasks to be covered in a timely manner. Options include:
- a job share arrangement to cover the time the employee is not there
- making sure the employee can be flexible when there is an emergency or unforeseen deadline
- sharing project records so that other team members can pick up their work
- buddy systems (where another employee is able to respond to urgent queries and provide information on the part-time employee's work projects).
- Learn more about employer obligations for flexible working arrangements, including industrial relations laws.
- Find out about managing flexible working arrangements in your business.
- Read about your rights and obligations under flexible working arrangements.