Flexible working arrangements for mature-aged workers
Flexible working arrangements can be important for mature-aged workers as they move towards retirement. Allowing them to work flexibly may lead to increased participation and productivity.
Complying with your industrial award
Make sure any flexible working arrangements meet the requirements of the relevant award or agreement that covers your business.
Read more about flexible working arrangements on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.
The benefits of allowing flexible working arrangements for mature-aged workers include:
- retention of corporate knowledge and skills - preventing shortages in critical areas
- less recruitment and training costs.
Phased retirement options
Phased retirement allows employees who are eligible to retire, or close to retirement but unable to continue working full-time, to make an easier transition. Options include gradual retirement and deferred retirement.
Gradual retirement or pre-retirement
Gradual retirement involves employees progressively reducing their working time and/or workload over a period of time. This may include:
- part-time employment
- job sharing
- pay averaging for purchasing additional annual leave
- partial long service leave over a long period of time.
Partial long service leave
Eligibility for partial long service leave over a long period of time depends on the relevant award. If there is no provision in the award, or the employee is not covered by an award, section 45(2) of the Industrial Relations Act 2016 allows employees and employers to negotiate an arrangement.
Deferred retirement or post-retirement
Deferred retirement involves extending employment after the normal retirement age, usually subject to employer approval and/or proof of fitness.
This may include:
- allowing employees to continue working after retirement on a part-time basis
- job sharing and pay averaging schemes for purchasing additional annual leave
- casual or contract work after retirement.
- Learn more about employer obligations for flexible working arrangements, including industrial relations laws.
- Find out about managing flexible working arrangements in your business.
- Learn more about long service leave.
- Read about your rights and obligations under flexible working arrangements.
I want to...
- Fundamental of exporting #5 - Regulatory and legal aspects to consider 23/05/2019
- SCC Cruise Party 25/05/2019