Liquor permits and changes to liquor licences

If you already hold a Queensland liquor licence, and want to change or extend your licence, you will need to apply for a permit or change to your liquor licence. Changes to licences can be either permanent or temporary.

If you are a non-proprietary organisation that wishes to serve alcohol temporarily or at a special event, you may need to apply for a permit. (Note: Under certain circumstances you may be exempt from this requirement).

The following liquor permits and changes to liquor licenses are available under the Liquor Act 1992 and the Wine Industry Act 1994.

Note: Click on the links for more detailed information and access to application forms.

Permanent change to a liquor licence

Adult entertainment permit

You need an adult entertainment permit if you wish to offer sexually explicit entertainment in addition to serving alcohol.

Extended trading hours (ongoing)

If you wish to permanently alter your trading hours you should apply for approved extended trading hours.

Alterations and additions to licensed premises

An application is required when you propose to make alterations without any change to the licensed area description (e.g. remove a wall, lengthen a bar).

Increase or decrease of licensed area (permanent)

If you plan to permanently increase or decrease the licensed area and/or alter or rebuild it in a way that will affect the licensed area description you will need approval.

Off-premises catering

If you hold a commercial other subsidiary on-premises licence, commercial hotel licence, or commercial other subsidiary off-premises licence you may apply for off-premises catering (i.e. catering for functions held away from the main licensed premises).

Detached bottle shops

You can apply to operate up to 3 detached bottle shops away from the main premises, if you hold a commercial hotel licence.

Satellite cellar door

If you hold a wine producer licence, you may apply for a satellite cellar door to sell or give away your wine on other premises.

Gratuitous supply of liquor

You can apply to have an area of a licensed premises designated for gratuitous supply of liquor after approved trading hours.

Find out more by reading Guideline 31: Gratuitous supply of liquor.

Temporary change to a liquor licence

Extended trading hours (one-off)

If you wish to trade for longer hours than usual for a one-off occasion, you can apply for a one-off extended trading hours permit.

Commercial public event permit

If you have a liquor licence and approval to cater off-site, you may be granted a commercial public event permit to cater for a public event away from your main premises.

Wine permit

If you hold a wine producer licence and want to sell your wine at a one-off event, such as a festival or trade show, you can apply for a wine permit. A wine permit allows you to serve wine at an unlicensed venue

Wine permits are not available to wine merchant licence holders.

Community liquor permit

Non-proprietary organisations or certain clubs can apply for a community liquor permit to serve alcohol at a one-off event, such as a festival, sporting event or fete. (Note: Under certain circumstances you may be exempt from this requirement). For assistance in planning your event, download Non-profit fundraising events: alcohol, safety and event management - A helpful planning guide.

Restricted liquor permit

Non-propriety organisations or clubs whose profits are used to promote the club and not distributed to members can apply for a restricted liquor permit if they wish to trade for a maximum of 10 or 25 hours a week for a period of 3 or 6 months.

Related links

Last reviewed
January 4, 2016