Transfer of mortgage toolkit
Transfers of Queensland mortgages are dutiable transactions, and registered self assessors must assess them in OSR Online.
This toolkit brings together everything you need to know about self assessing duty on the transfer of a mortgage.
A mortgage is an existing right under the Duties Act 2001. The transfer of a mortgage, including the debt secured by the mortgage, is assessed as the transfer of an existing right.
A concessional rate of duty ($5) applies to the transfer of a mortgage that is solely over land in Queensland.
Read the public ruling on the concessional duty on a transfer of mortgage (DA024.1) to find out more.
Assessing a transfer of a mortgage
Here are some tips to help you self assess this type of transaction in OSR Online.
How to lodge online
You must complete all mandatory data fields under each tab in OSR Online. Mandatory fields are marked with a red asterisk. There are some specific data requirements.
- Select Transfer of mortgage as the Transaction class.
- In the Type of dutiable transaction drop-down list, select either:
- Agreement to transfer dutiable property - for transactions evidenced by an agreement
- Transfer of dutiable property - for transactions evidenced by a transfer only.
- Select Existing right from the Type of dutiable property drop-down list.
- Enter the dealing numbers of the mortgages being transferred in the Detailed description of property (other than land) text field.
- Enter the number of mortgages being transferred.
Records you need to keep
For this type of transaction, you must keep a completed dutiable transaction statement (Form D2.2).
Find out more about your record keeping obligations.
- See the data entry standards for OSR Online.
- Learn more about self assessing transfers of existing rights.
- See endorsing examples if you are unsure how to stamp the documents.
- Get help with OSR Online.
- View the list of approved transactions for self assessors.
- Find out more about calculating transfer duty.
- Last reviewed: 14 Oct 2020
- Last updated: 14 Oct 2020
I want to...
Office of State Revenue
For transfer duty self assessment queries:
- call 1300 132 685
- email email@example.com.
For queries on payroll tax, land tax and royalties:
- call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
- send an email using our online enquiry form.