This toolkit brings together everything registered self assessors need to know about assessing duty when lodging transfers through Property Exchange Australia (PEXA).
PEXA is an online lodgement and financial settlement platform that allows you to do electronic conveyancing. PEXA is currently the only approved electronic lodgement network operator in Queensland.
You do not have to use PEXA - you can still lodge and pay for transactions in OSRconnect in the usual way.
The transfer duty self assessors guide (SA1) has more information on electronic conveyancing, including transactions you can assess in PEXA, lodgement timeframes and payments.
Getting started with PEXA
Follow these steps to register with us and lodge transfers with PEXA:
- Register with the Office of State Revenue as a transfer duty self assessor.
- Register as a PEXA subscriber.
- Validate your PEXA subscriber ID in OSRconnect by:
- selecting the Administrator tab
- selecting Electronic Lodgement Networks
- entering your PEXA subscriber ID in the ELN ID field and clicking Save.
Submitting a transaction
This is how you submit a transfer duty transaction using PEXA.
- Select a transaction that can be self assessed through PEXA.
- Create a PEXA workspace and select a payment method. This will create an ELN transaction number in PEXA and a draft transaction in OSRconnect displaying the number.
The three payment methods you can choose are:
- paid to the Commissioner before electronic lodgement settlement
- received by the self assessor before electronic lodgement settlement
- committed to be paid as part of the electronic lodgement settlement. (Any committed payment must be paid into your nominated account and forwarded to us.)
- In OSRconnect, select the transaction and complete the form. If there is an error with the pre-filled data, amend the PEXA workspace first.
- Lodge the transaction in OSRconnect within the lodgement timeframe. (You can save the transaction as a draft until you are ready to submit.) A confirmation page will be displayed when the transaction has been submitted successfully.
- Return to PEXA and click Verify Duty to confirm the duty assessment.
Payment and settlement
Take these steps to pay for transactions and prepare for settlement.
- Pay the full amount of duty and any unpaid tax interest (if applicable) in accordance with your self assessor requirements .
- Stamp the contract of sale once full payment has been made. The transfer will be endorsed electronically in PEXA.
- Prior to settlement, make sure the information in OSRconnect is correct and matches the data in PEXA. If you have submitted a transaction and it differs to the information in PEXA, settlement may be affected and we may need to reassess the duty liability.
- Meet your record keeping obligations.
Transactions not eligible for PEXA
The majority of residential land transactions can be processed through PEXA.
Transactions that cannot be processed through PEXA include:
- non-monetary (zero consideration) transactions
- transfers by direction
- stand-alone transfers (no contract)
- residential land with a non-residential land component
- transactions that include the sale of a business asset
- transactions aggregated with an ineligible transaction
- transactions to which an exemption or concession applies (excluding home, first home and first home vacant land concessions)
- transactions involving a reduction in duty (e.g. an option agreement offset).
Transfer duty forms
You may need the following transfer duty forms for electronic conveyancing of residential land transfers:
- Claim for home or first home transfer duty concession (Form D2.1)
- Notice for reassessment - transfer duty home and vacant land concessions (Form D2.4)
- Claim for first home vacant land concession (Form D2.7)
- Identity details annexure - for each non-Australian transferor and transferee.
For other types of transactions, you may need a dutiable transaction statement (Form D2.2).
Find out more about your record keeping obligations.
Deactivating your PEXA subscriber ID
You can deactivate your PEXA subscriber ID in OSRconnect at any time.
- Select the Administrator tab in OSRconnect.
- Select Electronic Lodgement Networks.
- Highlight the PEXA entry in the ELN ID field.
- Delete the entry and click Save.
These resources will help you self assess transfers that have been lodged through PEXA.
- Validating your PEXA subscriber ID
- Deactivating your PEXA subscriber ID
- Creating a draft PEXA transaction
- Completing the Identification tab for a PEXA transaction
- Completing the Document Details tab for a PEXA transaction
- Completing the Transaction Details and Liabilities tabs for a PEXA transaction
- How to submit a PEXA transaction
- Payment options for PEXA transactions
- Read the Queensland Law Society guidelines for trust account operations.
- Learn about public rulings relating to duties.
- Read about our self assessor payment options.
- Read the relevant legislation:
- Last reviewed: 27 Feb 2018
- Last updated: 28 Feb 2018
I want to...
- Digital Business Workshop - Emerald 26/06/2018
- Digital Business Workshop for Manufacturing - Gympie 26/06/2018
Office of State Revenue
For transfer duty self assessment queries:
- call 1300 132 685
- email email@example.com.
For queries on payroll tax, land tax and royalties:
- call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or +61 7 3227 6044 (overseas)
- send an email using our online enquiry form.