Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: We are currently updating information following recent Queensland and Australian Government announcements. Find assistance and support for coronavirus affected businesses and industries.

Endorsing transactions as a self assessor

To acknowledge that you have assessed transfer duty on a transaction, you endorse (stamp) the document that evidences the transaction, record the relevant details and sign it.

Here are some examples of how you should complete your endorsement of various transactions you could self assess.

General rules for endorsing documents

You must not endorse a document unless you have received the full amount of duty, and any unpaid tax interest (UTI) and penalty tax that applies.

If your client makes a direct electronic payment to us, you must ensure the transaction no longer appears in the payment obligations tab and it shows as paid in the Filter & Search function on the Payment Obligations tab before endorsing the document.

When endorsing documents, you must include your client number, transaction number, duty paid, UTI and penalty (if imposed). Endorsement is completed when the stamp is dated and signed. The stamp and all entries must be in black ink.

This is a stamping example of an ordinary contract or transfer transaction (including UTI) showing the fields that you must complete.

Example of general transfer duty stamp with details completed

Endorsing exempt transactions

If you are applying an exemption to a contract, agreement, deed or transfer, the exempt box on the stamp must be checked. Record the duty paid as 'nil'. Note the applicable exemption section of the Duties Act 2001 or Family Law Act 1975 (Cwlth).

Example of transfer duty exemption stamp with details completed

Read the exempt transactions toolkits for more information.

Endorsing transfers by direction

Transfers by direction involve a sale from party A to party B, then a further sale to party C. Usually, there will be a contract of sale between A and B and another between B and C, with one transfer from A to C. Both contracts are endorsed separately.

If you are the self assessor for the second contract only, you cannot endorse the transfer unless you have a copy of the first contract that shows the initial duty paid. You must keep a copy of the first contract on file.

When stamping the transfer, the transaction number for the first contract must be noted above the stamp.

Example of transfer by direction transfer duty stamp with details completed

Endorsing aggregated transactions

When endorsing transactions aggregated under section 30 of the Duties Act, you must stamp each transaction separately and note 'section 30 applied'.

Example of aggregated transaction transfer duty stamp with details completed

Our section 30 aggregations toolkit explains how to assess multiple transactions that are part of the same arrangement.

Pursuant transfers (section 22)

You do not need to enter a pursuant transfer into OSRconnect if you endorsed the primary instrument (contract of sale or agreement). The endorsement on the transfer must be identical to that on the contract or agreement to which the transfer relates (e.g. the same client number, transaction number, duty and UTI amounts).

If you are assessing a transfer that is pursuant to a primary document that has been endorsed by another self assessor or the Office of State Revenue, the document must be entered into OSRconnect. The endorsement on the transfer must be completed with the new details (e.g. client number and transaction number). The duty amount must be the same as the contract.

Endorsing non-dutiable transactions (NDTs)

Even though you do not need to enter NDTs into OSRconnect or create a transaction number for them, you may still need to stamp the documents for other purposes (e.g. court proceedings). If you do stamp them, record your client number, enter 'NDT' as the duty paid, and date and sign the stamp. Record the transaction in your manual register.

Example of non-dutiable transaction transfer duty stamp with details completed

Read the NDT toolkit for more information about assessing these types of transactions.

Also consider...


Office of State Revenue
For transfer duty self assessment queries:

For queries on payroll tax, land tax and royalties:

  • call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • send an email using our online enquiry form.