COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Role of the Commissioner for Resources Safety and Health
The Commissioner for Resources Safety and Health is an independent advisor to the government and is appointed by the Governor in Council.
The current Commissioner is Kate du Preez. She has more than 20 years experience in the resources industry across Africa and Australia, including working in underground coal mines and in management positions.
She holds a Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering and was the first woman in South Africa to hold a mine manager's certificate of competency in coal mining. As a miner herself, Mrs du Preez is passionate about the mining industry and is a strong advocate for mining safety and health issues.
Functions of the Commissioner
The Commissioner's main functions are to:
- advise the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy on matters relating to safety and health in the resources sector
- respond to requests by the Minister for advice on particular matters
- fulfil the roles of chair of the Coal Mining Safety and Health Advisory Committee and the Mining Safety and Health Advisory Committee
- engage with representatives of the explosives sector and petroleum and gas sector about promoting and protecting the safety and health of people who may be affected by the operation of those sectors
- monitor, review and report to the Minister on the performance of the regulator.
The Minister may give a written direction to the Commissioner about the performance of the Commissioner's functions or the exercise of the commissioner's powers if the Minister is satisfied it is necessary to give the direction in the public interest.
The commissioner must comply with the direction and publish a copy of the direction on a Queensland government website.
The Commissioner must provide an annual performance report to the Minister about the operations of the Commissioner during each financial year.
As the chair of the advisory committees, the Commissioner also reports on the operations of the committees.
Annual performance reports of the Commissioner for Mine Safety and Health
The Commissioner for Mine Safety and Health previously reported to the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy and to the Queensland Parliament on the administration of provisions about safety and health under the Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 1999 and the Mining and Quarrying Safety and Health Act 1999.
- Last reviewed: 1 Jul 2020
- Last updated: 1 Jul 2020