Lodging royalty returns

As a resource authority holder, you may need to lodge royalty returns periodically, even if you do not need to pay royalty. Understanding what type of return you have to submit and when you need to do this will help you meet your obligations and avoid penalties.

From 1 October 2020, non-tenure holders can apply to be treated as a petroleum producer for a stated amount of petroleum produced under a joint venture tenure for royalty purposes.

You may need to lodge royalty returns quarterly or annually, depending on the authorities in the operation and the size of the operation.

You can lodge your return using QRO Online.

This guide explains what operations you need to lodge a return for, the types of return and their requirements, how to lodge and assessments.


Queensland Revenue Office

  • Call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • Send an email using our online enquiry form.