Getting started with royalties

Mining and petroleum royalties are payments made to the owner of resources for the right to extract them. In Queensland, royalties are generally paid to us.

To extract minerals and petroleum in Queensland, you must first obtain a resource authority, this includes fossicking permits.

When you obtain a mineral development licence, mining lease, mining claim, petroleum lease or authority to prospect, we will automatically register you as a royalty client. We do this shortly after your holding is recorded in MyMinesOnline, the register kept by the Department of Resources.

Your liability is calculated using rates set out in Schedule 3 of the Mineral Resources Regulation 2013 and Division 3 of the Petroleum and Gas (Royalty) Regulation 2021.

You have various rights and obligations with respect to your liability.

Also consider…


Queensland Revenue Office

  • Call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • Send an email using our online enquiry form.