Private royalty for mining

Mineral rights in Queensland are generally held by the state. However, if the land was granted freehold title before 1 March 1910, a private holder may hold the mineral rights (other than in relation to gold).

If this is the case, royalties are payable directly to the private holder, not to us (except where any of the land is or becomes a road).

You must still complete a royalty return to disclose any private royalty payments, even if there is no royalty payable to us.


Queensland Revenue Office

  • Call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3179 2500 (overseas)
  • Send an email using our online enquiry form.