Underground water impact report (UWIR) for the Surat CMA
An underground water impact report (UWIR) for the Surat Cumulative Management Area (Surat CMA) is a statutory report to provide for:
- an assessment of cumulative impacts from existing and proposed groundwater extraction by resource tenure holders
- proactive strategies for managing those impacts (e.g. make good of water supply bores, monitoring strategy, impact mitigation strategies for affected springs)
- assignment of responsibilities to individual tenure holders to implement strategies and ongoing reporting.
The resource activities that are called in the Surat CMA are coal seam gas (CSG), conventional oil and gas, and coal mining.
The assessment is completed every 3 years in order to keep up to date with changes to industry development plans and new information about the groundwater flow system.
The Office of Groundwater Impact Assessment (OGIA) prepared the first UWIR for the Surat CMA in 2012 and the second in 2016. Those reports are now superseded by the UWIR 2019.
On 20 August 2021, an addendum titled ‘Spring Impact Mitigation Plan’ was also submitted to the Department of Environment and Science as an amendment to the UWIR 2019.
Current Surat UWIR
- Full report and appendices: Surat UWIR 2019 (PDF, 38MB)
*If you require an accessible version of the addendum, please contact OGIA.
Supplementary information for UWIR 2019
- Consultation submissions summary (PDF, 1.4MB)
- List of bores requiring baseline assessment (XLSX, 34KB)
- List of current petroleum and gas tenure holders in the Surat CMA (PDF, 454KB)
- List of all monitoring points in the water monitoring strategy (XLSX, 100KB)
- List of springs in the Surat CMA (XLSX, 37KB)
Previous Surat UWIRs
Annual reports on the UWIR
The annual reports provide updates on the implementation of the UWIR management strategies.
They also discuss any changes to circumstances that could impact on the predictions made in the UWIR (e.g. changes to development planning by resource tenure holders).
- 2020 annual report on the Surat UWIR 2019 (PDF, 1.1MB)
- 2018 annual report on the Surat UWIR 2016 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- 2017 annual report on the Surat UWIR 2016 (PDF, 1.0MB)
- 2014 annual report on the Surat UWIR 2012 (PDF, 2.3MB)
- 2013 annual report on the Surat UWIR 2012 (PDF, 1.7MB)
Note: No annual report was published in 2015 because the Surat UWIR 2016 provided an update on the implementation of management strategies.
- Conduct a bore search for information about the predicted impacts of water extraction on individual bores.
- Read about cumulative management areas.
- View bore reports for registered bores in Queensland.
- Search for resource authority applications on your land and surrounding area.
- Get involved in groundwater monitoring for resource impacts.
- Access groundwater monitoring data.