Authorisation and classification of fireworks

Outdoor fireworks during fire bans

Please be aware that fire bans are still in place in many local government areas.

In these areas, you must get the approval of the local fire warden before holding an outdoor fireworks display.

Before conducting a fireworks display, make sure you:

  1. Check the locations of total fire bans.
  2. Contact the local fire warden (if you are an area of total fire ban).
  3. Follow the advice of the fire warden. Make a note of the advice, who gave it and when.

In Queensland, the Chief Inspector of Explosives generically authorises fireworks.

The fireworks are classified according to the default classification scheme (PDF, 166KB), which was developed by the United Nations and adopted by the Australian code for the transport of explosives by road and rail, third edition (AEC3).

Fireworks don't need to pass test series 6 of the UN manual of tests and criteria (e.g. classification codes 1.3G, 1.4G etc.) if they meet the requirements of the default fireworks classification table.

All display fireworks, regardless of size, are classified according to the default fireworks classification table unless you can show evidence that it should be classified another way. Manufacturers' labels are not considered evidence.

The Chief Inspector of Explosives also states the following:

  • Black powder or gunpowder falls under division 1.1D regardless of how it's packaged.
  • Flash powder falls under division 1.1G unless you can prove that it falls under division 1.3G.
  • Fireworks quantities of more than 500kg gross weight or 250kg net explosives quantity (explosives content only) fall under division 1.1G for transport and storage purposes.