The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Embracing 2018: Building a lasting legacy
Supporting small business
The Embracing 2018 Legacy Program delivered a range of initiatives to support small businesses in the lead up to GC2018. The Be Games Ready program helped Queensland businesses to plan and prepare so they could embrace the opportunities. Support included the delivery of business workshops and mentoring programs.
The Games may be over, but the legacy lives on and there is still plenty of information and assistance available. Investigate ways to grow your business, read about building your workforce capability, find out about managing stock control and better cash flow management, get support to run and grow your business and learn more about business planning.
Find out about current small business information and events.
Supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses
GC2018 Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Business Development Program was a GC2018 RAP initiative aimed to boost the number of Indigenous businesses supplying both the Games and government at all levels.
The program aimed to build the capacity and capability of Indigenous businesses to successfully tender for work, reliably fulfil tender requirements and to ultimately build sustainable and profitable businesses.
The GC2018 RAP delivered an increase in procurement opportunities for Indigenous businesses, generating more than $14 million in contracts and other additional revenue for Indigenous businesses.
Find out more about the GC2018 Reconciliation Action Plan.
The Office of the Commonwealth Games and TAFE Queensland teamed up to offer Creating Tracks, an Indigenous small business training program for Indigenous businesses in the hospitality, tourism and arts industries that combined workshops, practical marketing sessions and one-on-one mentoring.
Find out more about Creating Tracks.
Welcoming guests to Queensland
The Queensland Government's Embracing 2018 Legacy Program delivered a series of face-to-face Be My Guest workshops to hundreds of tourism and hospitality businesses in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and the Gold Coast.
The program was rolled out across Queensland in the lead up to GC2018 to ensure a warm welcome and an exceptional guest experience for visitors to Queensland. Attendees included leaders, managers and front-facing staff from the tourism, hospitality and wider business communities.
Although workshops have finished, a free online learning program has been developed to support the Queensland tourism and hospitality industries. The program is suitable for staff at all levels and can be completed at any time.
Learn more about the Be My Guest Online Learning Program.
Watch 2 videos to learn more about your role in welcoming guests to Queensland:
Support for tourism businesses
Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) launched their Best of Queensland Experiences Program to identify those experiences that best bring the Queensland story to life and consistently deliver a high quality visitor experience. These exceptional experiences were promoted on apps, websites and social media to GC2018 visitors.
Read more about the Best of Queensland Experiences Program.
Further information and support is available for businesses within the tourism industry including:
- Six simple steps to accessible and inclusive tourism (PDF, 134KB)
- Inclusive tourism guide
- Tourism service quality toolkit
- Big marketing guide, includes the Working with events guide (PDF, 892KB)
- Experience development guide
- Ecotourism development toolkit.
- Check the Business Queensland events calendar for webinars and workshops that provide assistance to Queensland small businesses.
- Learn about managing business growth and consider registering with our Mentoring for Growth program.
- Read about Go Local, Grow Local and find out how to grow your business, create local jobs and help your community.
- Learn more about the City of Gold Coast's business support, or find out what business growth support your local authority can offer.
- Last reviewed: 25 Jun 2019
- Last updated: 25 Jun 2019
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020