Property identification codes (PICs)

Queensland livestock owners need property identification codes (PICs) to:

The PIC system operates nationally to allow animals to be traced throughout Australia if an animal disease outbreak or contamination incident occurs. PICs are a critical part of Australia's animal biosecurity.

How to get a PIC

When you register as a registered biosecurity entity (RBE) you will be allocated the PIC that is associated with the land where you keep you animal(s).

Who has to register under the new system?

You must register if you own or keep:

  • 1 or more cows, sheep, goats, pigs, bison, buffalo, deer or animals from the Camelidae family (e.g. alpacas, llamas) or the Equidae family (e.g. horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, zebras)
  • 100 or more designated birds - that is, birds that are raised for human consumption (poultry) or the production of eggs for human consumption (e.g. chickens), or that have been released into free flight since they started being kept in captivity (e.g. racing pigeons)
  • 1 or more beehives.

What if I already have a PIC?

Any property owner who already had a PIC before 1 July 2016 will automatically become a registered biosecurity entity (RBE) from that date. Your PIC number will be the same.

What if I need a PIC but I don't own the property?

PICs are not owned by the landowner. They are allocated to the land where you keep your animal(s). Biosecurity Queensland will allocate you the appropriate PIC once you are registered. More than 1 RBE can be registered to one property.

If you don't own the property on which your animals are kept, you still need to register as an RBE. You do not need the landowner's permission to register as an RBE.

To access industry systems such as NLIS and NVDs, you will need the landowner's permission. To grant permission, the property owner will need to complete the relevant section of your application to become a registered biosecurity entity.

Updating your registration details

It is your responsibility to keep your registration details up to date. Notify Biosecurity Queensland if:

  • there are changes to your contact information or property details (e.g. land parcels removed, changes to the types of animals kept)
  • you purchase or acquire additional property on which animals will be kept.

Call the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 if you would like to update your details.

Deregistration of a registered biosecurity entity

If animals are no longer held on a property, you can deregister a registered biosecurity entity associated with that property.

Depending on the circumstances, further action may be taken concerning the PIC for that property.

Call the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 for information on how to deregister.

Also consider...