Use of fire ant bait
Residential properties, farmland, sporting fields and parks can all be treated for fire ants by the people who occupy or manage the land.
There are a number of fire ant baits approved by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) that can be purchased. Each bait has different active ingredient(s) and are suitable for use in different situations.
|Brand name(s)||Active ingredients||Specific purpose (as per APVMA)||How and when to apply||Expected Results|
|Distance plus ant bait||Pyriproxyfen 5g/kg||Treatment of larger areas, including residential yards||Up to 3 applications per year at 12-week intervals in spring, summer and autumn. Apply using supplied shaker or handheld shaker/spreader||If applied regularly, you are unlikely to see visible fire ant nests develop in your yard. Product can take 3–6 months to kill visible and active nests|
Synergy pro ant bait |
PestXpert nest kill granular ant bait
|Hydramethylnon 3.65g/kg + Pyriproxyfen 2.5g/kg||Up to 2 applications per year over spring, summer with at least a 4-week interval between treatments. Apply using supplied shaker or handheld shaker/spreader||If nests are still active in 4–5 weeks of application, retreatment may be required. If visible nests are still active in 2–3 months, retreatment will be required|
|Amdro granular ant bait||Hydramethylnon 7.3g/kg||
Treatment of larger areas, including residential yards. |
Can also be used to treat individual nests
|At least a 4-week interval between applications. Apply using supplied shaker or handheld shaker/spreader When treating individual nests use 50g or about 5 large tablespoons per nest||Nests should start to show signs of death within several days of treatment. If visible nests are still active within 4–5 weeks of applying baits, re-treatment will be necessary to kill nests|
|Advion fire ant bait||Indoxacarb 0.45 g/kg||Up to 4 applications per year, typically at 12–16 week intervals. Apply using supplied shaker or handheld shaker/spreader. When treating individual nests use 15g or about 4 level tablespoons per nest||Nests should start to show signs of dying within several days of treatment. If visible nests are still active in 4–5 weeks of applying bait, retreatment will be required|
If you decide to treat fire ants yourself, you should:
- survey your property or worksite and determine the level of infestation—not all fire ant nests are visible above the ground
- report the fire ants by lodging a suspect ant report online or phone 13 25 23
- review the list of APVMA-approved baits and choose the one best suited to your situation.
It's important to note baits need to be consumed by fire ants to be effective. To increase the chances of success you should:
- always read the product label and/or permit, and follow the directions
- during fire ant treatment season—September to June, and during the coolest time of the day. Fire ants forage less during winter months and in high summer temperatures
- to dry ground and more than 24 hours before forecast rain
- multiple treatments, and within the time period stipulated on the product label
- keep children, pets and water away from the treated area for up to 48 hours to give the treatment a chance to work.