Ground distribution contractor's licence
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
Due to current workplace restrictions, we are experiencing delays in processing hard copy applications received via post or facsimile. Please allow at least 3 weeks for hard copy applications to be processed. Online application forms are being processed within normal time frames.
Ground distribution of herbicides may only be carried out in the course of the business of, at the direction of, or under the authority of either:
- a licensed ground distribution contractor holding a ground distribution contractor's licence
- a licensed aerial distribution contractor holding an aerial distribution contractor licence.
Licensing for ground distribution contractors
A ground distribution contractor must be licensed under the Agricultural Chemicals Distribution Control Act 1966.
A 'ground distribution contractor' is:
- any person or organisation carrying out the business of ground distribution of herbicides
- any person or organisation that directs or authorises ground equipment to be used to carry out ground distribution of herbicides.
You may need to meet the licence obligations as a commercial operator as well as a ground distribution contractor if you are self-employed as a ground distribution contractor and operate your own ground equipment to carry out ground distribution.
Apply for a ground distribution contractor's licence
There is no qualification or prerequisite required for a ground distribution contractor's licence.
This licence is issued for either a 1 or 3 year period, nominated by the applicant at time of application.
To apply, complete either the online or paper (PDF) form, and pay the prescribed fee with your application:
- online application for a licence
- if you cannot apply online, contact our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 for a paper based form.
Contact our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 if you require more information.
Renewal of existing licences
If you need to renew your licence, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and state your name and licence number and ask for a renewal link to be sent. The link is customised to include the licensee's current details.
If you have a registered email address, an online renewal link will automatically be sent 60 days prior to expiry date.
Record keeping requirements
One of the obligations of licensed ground distribution contractors is to make a record of all ground distributions carried out on their behalf and keep these for a minimum period of 2 years. These must be made available to authorised officers on request.
Read more about keeping records of herbicide distribution.