Embracing 2018: Building a lasting legacy
The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) will deliver lasting benefits and transform communities across Queensland. Find out more about the Embracing 2018 Legacy Program.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander initiatives
GC2018 is the first single major event in Australia to have a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP). The RAP will deliver legacy outcomes that will recognise, respect and celebrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.
The RAP will leave a lasting and meaningful legacy through opportunities in:
- employment and training
- procurement opportunities for Indigenous businesses
- the showcasing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts and cultures
- building a culturally capable workforce.
Find out more about the GC2018 Reconciliation Action Plan.
Indigenous businesses can register on the Black Business Finder, an online database established to give Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses an opportunity to be involved and benefit from the rapidly expanding major project program currently underway in Queensland.
Embracing the excitement
There will be opportunities for Queensland businesses to be involved in the Commonwealth Games through a broad range of legacy projects.
GC2018 provides the opportunity for your business and employees to come together and participate in team activities and community events. Allow your teams to join the excitement of GC2018 and create a buzz of excitement across the workplace.
Consider if your business could:
- adopt a country, or join up with neighboring businesses to adopt a number of countries or theme your precinct
- host sporting competitions or participate in active recreation activities, for example the 10,000 Steps Venues Tournament
- host a family fun day and make use of the free Nature Play Embracing 2018 Passport
- adopt flexible working practices to allow staff time off to volunteer, to watch the Queens Baton Relay pass through your community or attend GC2018 events.
Find out more about the Embracing 2018 Legacy Program for GC2018.
Supporting your community
State Wide Working Groups have been established to create a legacy for local regions and communities. These groups include members of the local chambers of commerce and local government, amongst others. For details of your local State Wide Working Group and how you can support the creation of a legacy for your community, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Last reviewed: 29 Sep 2017
- Last updated: 29 Sep 2017
I want to...
Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games
- Innovate Queensland GRID: So You Wantu Start a Start-up? 12/12/2017
- Queensland Small Business Week 2018 28/05/2018