Transferring freehold land

An interest in land may be transferred as a result of the sale of the land, a gift or by the operation of law (e.g. to comply with the requirements of a court order).

Any transfer must be registered in the Titles Registry in order to take effect.

This guide explains the procedures for registering a simple transfer of freehold land. It only applies to transfers of the whole interest of a freehold lot from an individual to another.

For additional information about Titles Registry forms, see the land title practice manual.

Note: Titles Registry forms are legally binding and must be completed carefully. The Titles Registry can provide general information about forms and requirements. If you require personal advice - that is, advice taking your circumstances into consideration, or the options available to you - then it is recommended that you speak to a lawyer.


Titles enquiries 1300 255 750