Dispensing with the production of a certificate of title

Certificates of title are being discontinued

From 1 October 2019, paper certificates of title will no longer have any legal effect. This means that from this date, you don't need to:

  • return an existing certificate of title to the Titles Registry before a transaction can proceed
  • request to dispense with a certificate of title if it's been lost, stolen or destroyed.

Read Titles Registry Alert 151 for more information.

When lodging a document for registration in relation to a property, you will need to locate the paper certificate of title (if one has been issued) and return the certificate to the Titles Registry.

If the certificate has been lost or destroyed, you will need to apply to dispense with its production.

A public notice of the application to dispense will also need to be placed in a newspaper determined by the Registrar of Titles.

This guide explains the procedure for a simple application to dispense with the production of a certificate of title.

For additional information about Titles Registry forms, see the land title practice manual.

Note: Titles Registry forms are legally binding and must be completed carefully. The Titles Registry can provide general information about forms and requirements. If you require personal advice - that is, advice taking your circumstances into consideration, or the options available to you - then it is recommended that you speak to a lawyer.


Titles enquiries 1300 255 750