Returning the certificate of title

Your paper certificate of title may be returned to the Titles Registry for cancellation when you lodge a transfer or other titling instrument on the title for the property, or at any time if you no longer require it.

When lodging an instrument

If a paper certificate of title exists, you must return the certificate of title when you lodge a transfer or other instrument for the property. You do not need to complete another form - simply include the certificate as part of your documentation.

At any other time

You may return your paper certificate of title at any time if you no longer require it.

  1. Complete Form 14 - General request (PDF, 80KB). See the instructions below.
  2. Bring the certificate of title and the form to one of our Titles Registry offices or business centres. You may also send these to us by registered mail. No fees apply.

Completing and printing the form

Please complete forms carefully, and include all required information. If you make a mistake, follow the correction instructions at the bottom of this page. Failure to do this may result in delays in processing your dealing and additional fees.

You can complete forms by hand or on the computer. Use dense black or blue ink and make sure that all signatures and dates are in original ink. Any text entered on the computer should be in Arial 10 point or larger.

Print the form on A4 white paper, making sure the whole of the form appears on one side of one sheet only. Do not fold forms. You can change the size of the panels, but do not make other changes (e.g. delete panels or change the standard wording) without the approval of the Registrar of Titles.

Some browsers don't support the full functionality of our PDF forms. For help, refer to our Guide to downloading Titles Registry forms (PDF, 184KB), or download the Word (DOT) version of the form instead.

How to complete Form 14 - General request

Lodger details Insert name, postal address, email address and telephone number for correspondence purposes
Item 1 Insert 'Request to cancel certificate of title'
Item 2 The description of the relevant lot/s should read 'Lot [no.] on [plan reference]'. Plan references must contain the appropriate prefix, such as SP, RP, BUP, GTP (e.g. Lot 27 on RP 204939). Insert the title reference as it appears on the certificate of title
Item 3 Insert the full name of all registered owners as they appear on the certificate of title
Item 4 Insert 'fee simple'
Item 5 Insert the name of the applicant
Item 6 Insert appropriate words for the actual request (e.g 'I hereby request that the certificate of title for the land described in Item 2 be cancelled')
Item 7 Print the form, then sign and date

Correcting a form

You can make a minor change to a form by ruling through the item to be deleted, inserting the correct information and initialling the change. Do not use erasers, correction fluid or similar products.

A minor correction would be correcting:

  • a digit or transposition of 2 digits in a title reference, plan number or ABN
  • the spelling of part of a name of a person or company.

If you need to make more substantial changes, refer to part 59-2040 of the land title practice manual or - provided the document has not already been lodged - complete a new form (remember to have the new form signed by all parties if the form it is replacing has already been signed). Alternatively, you may wish to speak to a lawyer or contact our enquiry service.

What happens next

Returned certificates of title or deeds of grant that were issued before 24 April 1994 are cancelled and imaged. The image is retained in the Titles Registry and is available to anyone interested. All returned certificates will be destroyed after 12 months.

Owners who wish to have their cancelled certificate of title or deed of grant returned for personal reasons can request the return; however this request needs to be made within 12 months of cancellation of the certificate of title.

Complete the Request for return of cancelled certificate of title (DOC, 47KB) and submit it to one of our Titles Registry offices or business centres. No fees apply.


Titles enquiries 1300 255 750