How to register a business name
Once you have chosen an appropriate name, you can contact the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to:
In your application, you will need to provide:
- your Australian Business Number (ABN) or ABN application reference number
- your proposed business name and registration period
- the business locations or addresses
- the full names and addresses of all business owners.
Once your business name is registered, you will receive a record of registration effective for 1 year or 3 years, depending on the term you chose on your application. You will also need to meet legal obligations, that may include:
- displaying your business name
- renewing your registration to keep it active
- informing ASIC of any changes to your registered details within 28 days after the change occurs - including if you cease to trade under the business name.
A business name registration costs $33 for 1 year or $76 for 3 years.
Once you've registered your business name you can use the ASIC business names overview to renew your business name, cancel your business name or update your business name and address details.
If you registered your business name before 28 May 2012
If you registered your business name before 28 May 2012 in more than 1 state or territory, you may have multiple, identical, business names registered to you with ASIC. You can apply to have your unwanted business name registrations cancelled, or allow them to lapse. It is free to cancel a business name.
Read more about removing identical names on the ASIC website.
If your business name application was in progress on 28 May 2012
If your business name application was in progress on the 28 May 2012 (when the national Business Names Register came into effect), you will need to contact the state or territory agency you applied to. For example, in Queensland, you would contact the Office of Fair Trading.
- Visit ABLIS (Australian Business Licence and Information Service) to find out what other registrations, permits or licences you may need for your business.
- Last reviewed
- March 31, 2014
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)