Trading hours of retail shops in Queensland
In this guide:
- Trading hours of retail shops in Queensland
- Exempt shop trading hours in Queensland
- Independent retail shop trading hours in Queensland
- Non-exempt shop trading hours in Queensland
- Anzac Day non-trading hours in Queensland
- Approval and issue of retail trading hours in Queensland
- Christmas 2014 and New Year 2015 trading hours
The trading hours of retail shops in Queensland are regulated by:
- the Trading (Allowable Hours) Act 1990
- the Trading (Allowable Hours) Regulation 2004
- various orders made by the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission.
Generally the minimum allowable trading hours throughout Queensland are:
- 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday
- 8am to 5pm on Saturday (extended hours may apply in certain areas)
- extended hours may also apply in certain areas on Sundays and on certain public holidays.
Hours of trade will depend on the classification of shop.
Shops are mainly classed as:
- exempt shops
- independent retail shops
- non-exempt shops.
This guide explains what trading hours apply to retail shops in Queensland depending on their classification.
- Last reviewed
- September 8, 2014
State legislation applies
State legislation regarding private employment agents, trading hours, public holidays and child employment continues to apply to all businesses and employees in Queensland.
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)