Liquor licensing compliance

Under the Liquor Act 1992, you must comply with the conditions stated in your liquor licence. The conditions relate to trading hours, training, noise restrictions and safety.

Being aware of your responsibilities and meeting your obligations will help you to keep your liquor licence.

The following are some key compliance issues for liquor licensing.

Providing a safe environment for patrons and staff

The liquor code of practice for the responsible service, supply and promotion of alcohol provides a universal guideline for use by licence and permit holders and their staff.

As a liquor licence holder, you can help to provide a safe environment for patrons and staff and the local community by ensuring that:

  • drink promotions and happy hours are controlled to avoid excessive and rapid consumption of alcohol
  • alcoholic beverage advertisements promote responsible alcohol consumption and don´t encourage minors to consume alcohol
  • drinking water is provided for patrons
  • intoxicated patrons are refused service of alcohol
  • undesirable liquor products that inappropriately target young people, increase intoxication at rapid rates or encourage irresponsible use of alcohol are not available at your premises
  • if you are classified as a 'high-risk' venue, you comply with bans on regular glass for serving drinks at your premises to reduce the risk of violence
  • you meet the noise restrictions outlined in your liquor licence.

Approved managers and licensee absences

You must appoint an approved manager if the liquor licence holder will be absent for normal business hours.

If the approved manager will also be absent, a notification of absence from licensed premises (PDF, 32KB) form must be completed and lodged with the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR).

Wine licence holders can advise the OLGR of the licence holder's absence by letter.

Mandatory training

Each person on your liquor licence application must undertake the Responsible Management of Licensed Venues (RMLV) (PDF, 103KB) training.

All other staff who serve liquor must undertake the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) (PDF, 129KB) training.

As a liquor licence holder, you must keep a register of current training course certificates held by your staff.

Serving and employing minors

You must ask patrons for identification (ID) to make sure they are over 18 before they enter your premises. People under 18 (minors) are not allowed on licensed premises unless they are:

  • a resident
  • an employee
  • conducting business
  • undertaking training or work experience
  • at a function
  • eating a meal
  • accompanied by an adult.

They cannot be served alcohol.

Minors can work in licensed venues, except for ones that have an adult entertainment permit. If you employ minors, you must be aware of child employment regulations.

Trading hours

You can only serve alcohol within the trading hours outlined in your licence. You should be aware of issues such as the 3am lockout for premises that trade late, and restrictions on trading on Good Friday, Anzac Day and Christmas Day. You may be able to apply for a special permit to trade outside of your usual hours.

A moratorium is currently in place for applications to trade between 12 midnight and 5am, except for applicants who meet the exemption criteria.

Venue signs

Liquor compliance signs that you can display at your premises are available from the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.

Last reviewed
March 13, 2014


General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

Connect Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View us on YouTube