Queensland natural disaster assistance

If you are a small business owner or primary producer who has been affected by a natural disaster in Queensland, there may be financial assistance available, as well as a range of support services to help you recover.

Tropical Cyclone Ita

Emergency financial assistance for individuals

Emergency financial assistance is available for residents in the following towns and shires affected by Tropical Cyclone Ita:

  • Cooktown, Laura, Ayton, Bloomfield, Helensvale, Rossville and Lizard Island (in Cook Shire)
  • Hope Vale Shire
  • Wujal Wujal Shire.

Mobile outreach teams are offering assistance and grants to eligible individuals and families, including:

  • Immediate Hardship Assistance of $180 for individuals and up to $900 for families of 5 or more
  • Essential Household Contents Grants of up to $1,765 for individuals and up to $5,300 for families for replacement and repair of essential household items
  • Structural Assistance Grants of up to $10,995 for individuals and up to $14,685 for families for structural damage to houses
  • Essential Services Safety Reconnection Scheme Grants of up to $4,200 for repair of damaged services if you are uninsured or unable to claim insurance.

To find out more about these grants, including eligibility, visit the Queensland Government's financial assistance page, or phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.

Financial assistance for primary producers affected by Tropical Cyclone Ita is listed below.

Small businesses

If your business has been affected by a natural disaster, find out:

Phone the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Queensland's Employer Assistance Line on 1300 731 988 for:

  • advice and support if your business has been forced to close or reduce operations
  • free industrial relations advice on managing your staff appropriately and meeting your obligations under the Fair Work Act 2009.

Primary producers

Financial assistance for primary producers affected by Tropical Cyclone Ita

Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) Category B

Primary producers in the following 16 shires affected by Tropical Cyclone Ita may be eligible for relief and recovery assistance:

  • Burdekin
  • Cairns
  • Cassowary Coast
  • Cook
  • Douglas
  • Hinchinbrook
  • Hope Vale
  • Lockhart River
  • Mackay
  • Mareeba
  • Palm Island
  • Tablelands
  • Townsville
  • Whitsunday
  • Wujal Wujal
  • Yarrabah.

Concessional loans

Low-interest loans of up to $250,000 are now available for primary producers in areas affected by Tropical Cyclone Ita.

Visit QRAA or call 1800 623 946 to find out if you are eligible.

Freight subsidies

Freight subsidies of up to $5000 are also available for primary producers in affected areas.

Leasehold rent relief

Landholders can apply to have their next leasehold rental payment deferred. Find out more about deferring your rent or instalment

Assistance for banana growers

North Queensland banana growers can certify fruit harvested from fallen plants after Tropical Cyclone Ita, under new market access arrangements.

Support services for primary producers

If your farm has been affected by a natural disaster, find out:

Financial assistance for primary producers affected by drought

Drought Concessional Loans Scheme

Low-interest loans up to $1 million are now available to help farm businesses recover from and prepare for future droughts. Find out if you are eligible for a Drought Concessional Loan.

Freight subsidies

Drought-affected primary producers may be eligible for up to $30,000 assistance in the first year from the Queensland Government, including:

  • freight subsidies on fodder and water (during drought)
  • freight subsidies on returning from agistment and restocking (after drought).

If you have already reached the original cap of $20,000 for the first year, you can now access up to $30,000 by completing a drought management plan.

Apply for subsidies using the transport of fodder - freight subsidy application form.

New drought assistance package

Find out about the new drought assistance package for primary producers, which includes:

  • land rent relief
  • emergency water infrastructure rebate
  • emergency agistment
  • transport concessions
  • mental health support.

Drought Relief Assistance Scheme (DRAS)

Primary producers in the current drought-declared areas can apply for DRAS.

Use both these forms to apply for a rebate to establish water infrastructure for emergency animal welfare needs:

  1. Water availability statement form (must be completed first)
  2. Emergency water infrastructure rebate - application form

Apply for an Individually Droughted Property (IDP) declaration

If you are not in a declared area but believe your property is experiencing drought conditions, you can apply for an IDP declaration.

Read the IDP application guidelines to learn more about understanding drought declarations.

Revoke an Individually Droughted Property (IDP)

To revoke an IDP application, you may need to complete an Application to revoke an IDP declaration

For more information on DRAS or IDP, email or contact us on 13 25 23.

Related links

Last reviewed
June 27, 2014


General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

Connect Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View us on YouTube