Where to get workers' compensation insurance
Most Queensland employers get their workers' compensation insurance through WorkCover Queensland. Large businesses that employ at least 2000 workers may be eligible for self-insurance; however, they still need to meet the regulations outlined in the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2013.
WorkCover Queensland audits Queensland businesses to make sure they have adequate insurance to cover their workers. They also advise on what to do in the event of an injury.
To apply for an accident insurance policy, you will need to give WorkCover Queensland information on your business, including:
- the date you expect to begin employing people
- the estimated wages for your business
- your primary business activity
- your business type
- your Australian business number (ABN).
WorkCover Queensland will ask other questions about your location and business details during the application. You will also need to pay a non-refundable premium.
Learn more about applying for an accident insurance policy on the WorkCover Queensland website.
Self-insurance is available to large organisations that employ at least 2000 full-time employees in Queensland. Self-insured organisations provide accident insurance for their workers, instead of insuring with WorkCover Queensland. The Workers' Compensation Regulator oversees self-insurance licensing in Queensland.
Learn more about self-insurance criteria.
Workers' compensation disputes
The Workers' Compensation Regulator monitors workers' compensation in Queensland. If you, as a worker or an employer, feel an insurance claim or policy is unfair, or have other disputes with insurers, you can apply for a review by the Workers' Compensation Regulator.
- The Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2013 (PDF, 763KB) lists specific inclusions and exclusions for who should be covered for workers' compensation.
- Find out who you need to cover for workers' compensation insurance.
- Learn more about business insurance.
- Last reviewed
- January 9, 2014
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)